Friday, June 10, 2005

FI FI FO FUM

Fine I got a good (err make that ‘sexy’) percentage in my boards, BUT puhlease, that’s supposed to invite rewards not suffering.

Venue: A ‘shaadi’ or some weird family function which us Indians always love to hold. First, the expected clichés, for which I had come prepared for were thrown at me- You’re looking so mature- just like PAPA! (not bada ho gaya hai- dat stopped a year ago) you do recognize me naa beta (stupid adult laugh and BLECH! Slobbery kiss). I somehow survived, mumbling something.

Next up, HOooooooo beta, tumne to kamal hi kar diya. I say thank you. 96.4%, Kya baat hai!!! A polite smile. Everybody is soooo proud (for crying out loud, thank you). This is soooo good!! (well I’ll be damned) I manage to squeal a thank you, gritting my teeth. The end Is nowhere in sight. Tumne to hamari family ka naam uncha kar diya(utha le bhagwaan!!) Fantastic beta, your……. (Here, I break off, smiling all the time, mumbling pleasantries- not catching the rest) Suddenly, a huge bear hug is all around me (entirely welcome, u’ll see) and eeyech! Another slobbery kiss (not welcome).

Now, surely you haven’t forgotten this was ONE person. There’s an entire battalion of ‘em yearning to eke out my soul. The ignominy shall go on. Smile, continue to take the endless charade of questions. Can anybody suggest what one can do other than smile and say thank you (wisecracks are welcome- I could use a laugh or too).

I know a lot of people will be saying- “what a family! Sheeh! And ughhh!” so read on.

I have heard of some people who have fights inside their family, some gale-shikve.

And I’m very surprised that my family doesn’t. My granddad had 13 brothers and sisters and goodness knows how many cousins that meant for my dad- but I tell you I have not come across any family as nice as mine. None from here will think twice if you ask for their help. We all care for each other and we like to show it whenever possible. So the hug I spoke of earlier was so warm and affectionate that instantly, I could feel nothing but happiness (jaadu ki Jhappi isn’t fiction). When I sit and listen to my grandmother about old times (don’t you?), many times I hear- your granddad did this for this one, he did that for that one and I’m just amazed- the love just goes beyond all expectation and its not reserved. By the way, he’s not the only one. Like I said the large plethora of Rastogis and other relatives are all the greatest, genuinely caring (you can easily make out) beings to descend on the face of the earth. someday, i'll become that too. I LOVE BEING A RASTOGI. Screw the Littles’ and the Flintstones’, WHO DA FAMILY!!!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous friggin thought...

Well, i've got a wisecrack for u . . . tumne to hamari family ka naam uncha kar diya - ab aap neecha karoge to kisi ko to uncha karna hai na!!! :>
Wel it happens wid every1 . . . i went 2 a marriage de oder day n at least 5 ppl said de same line 2 me "Kitni badi ho gayi hai" !!!! I mean i'm not even 5'5!!!!!!
neways gud post, i got a gud laugh, goin to ne more marriages in de near future?? ;)
Salona.

1:09 AM  
Blogger udit friggin thought...

i hope not, sallu bain!!
and seriously you're going to stop getting those "badi ho gyee" dialogues" v. soon.

1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous friggin thought...

well i hope so!!!!!
n don call me "sallu ben"!
its not a bad name . . . . bt such names stick on 4ever . . . n i don wan dat!!!!
Salona.

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous friggin thought...

woh......wadda family.....
btw mayanks ur cousin naa......!nobody wud b tellin him "bade ho gaye ho"
newayz its gr8 2 noe u ppl stik fr each other.......keep it up

1:17 AM  
Blogger Vintage Girl friggin thought...

now that u've got 96.4% u're bound to get all those compliments.really it is sexy- the %age

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous friggin thought...

awesum entry buddy.......same case w/ all family shaadis but i dunt gt invited 2 many u c....

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous friggin thought...

hey buddy...i finally read ur entire blog..i managed 2 open my internet explorer...wel..even i went thru the same phase but u know wat the difference was..dat ppl in my family kept askin me baaki ke 5% kahaan reh gaye.. :-)..hehehe..neways...and btw...tumhare 3.6% khaan reh gaye udit..hadh hai!!..neways...hopin the relationship u share with ur family members continues 2 b the same and mayb even better!...

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous friggin thought...

hey buddy...i finally read ur entire blog..i managed 2 open my internet explorer...wel..even i went thru the same phase but u know wat the difference was..dat ppl in my family kept askin me baaki ke 5% kahaan reh gaye.. :-)..hehehe..neways...and btw...tumhare 3.6% khaan reh gaye udit..hadh hai!!..neways...hopin the relationship u share with ur family members continues 2 b the same and mayb even better!...

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home