Thursday, August 02, 2007

My life be like..

Now, is the time in my life, when I’m in college, I’m responsible for myself, one step closer to being an adult, and I want to do something with myself. Just the intent is probably not good enough without any information. On getting information I have to do some cost-benefit analysis. While doing that, I can show off any skills that I might have and, very wisely, sneak in terms that I’ve just learnt.

So, intent and information in hand, I had to choose what would help me develop, look good on a resume, and not interfere with academic ambitions of brilliance; in short, the perfect pie. I figured that my perfect pie would be arguing, or as civilized people call it- debating, criticize others and show brilliance of my own- which could be called editing, and eating (I like to say hogging, though). Needless to say, the college and the University provide necessary resources for all three. Having identified these facts, I acquainted myself with people involved in these and found out how to be a part of it all.

The Debating Society (DEBSOC) turned out to be very exciting, and lived up to my expectations. I was overjoyed to know about the new formats, the differing style required in the old format and the logical coherence and comprehensiveness of the entire jing-bang. I was quick to audition, and get selected. Of course, I choose to overlook the fact that every interested person gets selected. Yet, I like to believe that I can do a good job, if I go and practice for the debate for which I’m going tomorrow.

Moving on to editing and the editorial board; my first concern about it was- “I hope it’s not the editorial bored”. I didn’t have to worry, as became clear by the members or the board and by the magazine. The only complaint I have about the selection process is that we have to write an article on “anything” as the first stage. What is one supposed to make of “anything”? It would be so much easier if there was a fixed topic, I would research on it, I would have something to present, a mission of clarity and of good presentation. Alas, I have to rack my brains and present something which I can only hope meets expectations, be it in sincerity, verbosity or hilarity. Then, I might make it to the next stage.

Then comes the matter of eating; thankfully, north campus provides a plethora of choices to satiate my ‘tanki’. There’re innumerable places such as D-school, with its chai samosa, Khalsa, with its biryani, Chachaji’s chhole bathure, momos point, the evergreen banta, Tom Uncle’s, with famous maggi, the Stephen’s “café” and those which I haven’t visited too.

The Hansraj canteen gets its fair share of business too. After all, ravenous kids, forced to get up early and rush to college or the generally hungry types need their convenient nutrition. The downside to it is the hole in my pocket, inspite of the good pricing, and some supposed extra weight which miraculously, only my sister seems to observe.

Having said all that, academics shouldn’t be locked up in a tiny box and thrown away. We’re blessed with good teachers and Delhi University curriculum and I intend to take advantage of that.

I have a feeling I’m going to have a heck of a time for 3 years.

3 Comments:

Blogger Vintage Girl friggin thought...

dayumm u write well...

8:34 AM  
Blogger Anu friggin thought...

oh yaa
u write witty well

10:45 PM  
Blogger Shayeri friggin thought...

haha...the food
that's all that caught my eye.
and you make college sound like a deliciously seductive place...
i hope where i'm going turns out to be as good :)

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home